How many of these healthy habits are you doing regularly?
Start small with healthy habits
by Dr. Carly Catanese, PT, DPT, DMT, MEd
Feeling better is something most of us want, but it’s often hard to know where to start. We’ve compiled a list of healthy habits that will help you have more energy, feel better, and manage stress.
The best way to make a healthy habit a normal part of your routine? Start with just one and once it becomes a habit and you don’t have to spend much energy thinking about it, add another one. Over time, these healthy habits will accumulate and you’ll find yourself feeling better and dealing with less pain.
These simple things can be the foundation of better physical and mental health:
Drink plenty of water daily.
- The amount you should drink depends on your size, weight, and your activity level, but on average, you should drink ½ ounce to 1 ounce for each pound. Therefore, if you weigh 130 lbs, you should drink between 65 – 130 oz of water or 8-16 c of water/day.
- You should be getting 7-9 hrs of sleep/night
- The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes/week of moderate exercise or 75 minutes/week of vigorous exercises (or a combination).
- To put it simply, aim for at least 30 min 5 days/week
Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Moderation is key!
- Aim to eat protein and fruits or vegetables at most meals, as these will fill you up and provide a wide range of things your body needs for better overall health.
- Easier said than done right?!
- Here are some helpful tips:
- Hang out with friends or family
- Exercise / Yoga
- Boundaries! We often put too much on our plate. We need to learn to say ‘no’ sometimes.
- Deep breathing
- Listen to your favorite music
It’s important we take care of ourselves; if we don’t, who will?!
If you have been dealing with pain and it’s amplifying your stress and/or limiting your ability to achieve some of the other healthy habits above, it might be time to consult your physical therapist! We’re happy to help!