Injured ACL, Now What?
We understand that you may be going through a lot right now. We want you to know that our goal is to equip you with evidence-based knowledge to help you make the BEST decision for YOU!
Make sure what you are doing is in the best interest of you and no one else. Your job is to make sure that you do this process the best that you can. This might mean that you go out of your way to select the best option. Convenience does not mean that you’re pursuing the best treatment option.
ACL re-injury rate is 30%.
It’s important to do this correctly the first time!
Here are some of the things to consider:
- Choose the right environment: You become who you surround yourself by. (Check this – even our very own ACL expert tears her ACL – again!)Choose an environment that will help you achieve your goals and maximize your potential after ACL injury.
- Choosing your Healthcare team: You SHOULD feel confident in your healthcare team. The people you are working with SHOULD know how to work with this injury. It shouldn’t be a protocol guiding them, they should have a process of how they treat these injuries.
See below some questions to make sure you have the right provider for YOUR ACL needs!
- How many ACL rehab clients do you see or have seen?
- What is your opinion on non-operative vs operative approaches?
- What is your opinion on each graft type?
- What is your philosophy as a physical therapist for ACL rehab?
- What will it take for me to run?
- How do you incorporate strength and conditioning into physical therapy plans for ACL clients?
- How quickly post-op ACL can I begin rehab?
- How long do most clients stay in PT with you for ACL rehab?
- What will the criteria be to return to sport?
Got a question for one of our ACL rehab experts? Schedule a brief phone consult here and we can see how to best help you on your rehab and performance journey.